Saturday, August 11, 2007

Gardening vs "yard work" [Updated]

Every garden has one of those bits you don't quite know what to do with. Our garden unfortunately has a few of them. Today we went to the nursery to buy some plants to fix one of those areas. After we'd been to the nursery we came home and Meeks did some gardening and I did some "yard work". For those of you who are unclear, men do "yard work" and women do "gardening".
The end result was this little garden bed

The ones in the front are low growing gardenias and at the back are lillipillis. We want the gardenias to spread out and cover the ground and the lillipillis to grow up a bit and cover the front of the porch.

We also got some of Meeks' new favourite plants called leucadendrons. There are heaps of varieties. We got one which looks like this

Not a bad photo even if I do say so myself!

There is also this random plant in our garden which we have no idea what it is but it has just started to flower. It looks like this

Anyone have any idea what it is?
Update: The consensus is that it is a camelia. It has opened up nicely now, I'll try and get a photo of it tomorrow.

Later on Meeks had a nap and Mitch and I did a bit of playing outside

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i was going to say camelia the other day, but didn't want to look like an idiot because i know NOTHING about flowers, much to the dismay of my grandmother!

Dave&Meeks said...

No need to be ashamed. I thought it was a hibiscus! Shows what little I know!