Thursday, February 07, 2008

Playing with light

I was at home today so while Mitch was sleeping I decided to play with the camera and some flashes I bought on eBay. Having no "model" to practice on I decided to enlist the help of Mitch's Horsey Bob. Firstly here is Horsey Bob lit with the on camera flash. The harsh shadow behind Horsey Bob's head is ugly and the light is very flat. It makes the face look one dimensional.

Then lit with the two flashes and a white refelctor - not perfect, but much better I think! There is some interest, there is light and shadow, Horsey's head is separated from the background


After that I decided to move on to something a bit different. We have a vase with some electric Christmas lights in it. With the on camera flash it is just ugly and you can't see the lights - note also the harsh shadow behind which make it hard to see what's going on.

But with a bit of creative lighting it looks much better, as least I think so anyway. The only thing I don't like is the reflection in the right hand side frame. Oh well, I'll know for next time.


So about $100 worth of equipment bought from eBay and lots of help from The Strobist and I'm getting better at taking photos. Yay!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow Dave - that's really amazing, good job!!