Monday, March 19, 2012

A day of milestones

Well today marks a few milestones so I thought I should blog about them briefly.

Firstly, it is Holly's 6 month birthday. We can't believe she has been in our lives for 6 whole months. She is such a smiley delight and we love her so much. Unfortunately she has a nasty cold and snot is flowing freely and her eyes are all red and ... well, she just doesn't look her best, so we will wait a few days and take some photos of her then.

Secondly Mitchy has his first loose tooth! One of his front bottom teeth is loose and he is very excited. Phrases like "I can't believe this is happening to me!" and "This is the best thing ever" were coming out of his mouth when he realised it, which may seem over the top, but they have also been applied to Meeks laminating one of his drawings or having tacos for dinner, so perhaps his threshold for over what constitutes the best things in his life is a little low.

Thirdly, we have started potty training Lucas and Sam. Meeks has made a little chart for both of them and every time they are successful they get a little star to put on their chart. Today was their first day and it went surprisingly well. Lucas is by far the more frequent urinator seeming to need to wee every 30 minutes or so, with a number of accidents (including one big number two) and a similar number of successes. He was so proud of himself every time he did a wee in the toilet. His little face lit up it was a delight to be able to see. He ended the day with 7 stars and then woke up about 2 hours after he'd gone to sleep wanting to do another wee in the toilet. Not sure if he'll make it through the night, but a very good first up effort. Sam is a slightly different case, he had no accidents, but then only did a wee twice in the toilet, despite being put on the toilet a number of times throughout the day. Hopefully he relaxes a bit tomorrow and gets into the flow of things.

Fourthly, today I had my first day of unemployment since January 2000. I was informed a few weeks ago by IBM that I was being made redundant as of March 31st. I have been very fortunate in securing a new job starting in the first week in April, so decided to take redundancy a couple of weeks early so as to get a bit of a break between jobs. The redundancy payout from IBM is generous, so I would have been okay without a job for a while, but it is indeed a answered prayer to have this new job so the period of stress was minimal for us all. The new job is in a small company and a world away from financial services so is very much a new start for me and I am very much looking forward to the challenge. I have quite a bit of reading to get through in these two weeks to get me a bit up to speed when I start in the beginning of April.

Fifthly, not really a milestone, but we're all in various stages of being sick with a nasty cold. Mitch and Lucas had it early last week, I had it bad over the weekend, but am coming out of it now, Sam has been off colour for a few days, Holly is pretty sick now and has been for a few days and Meeks just started getting it badly today. Again, fortunately I'm at home so I can help out, but if Meeks has it as bad as I did over the weekend, then she's in for a pretty unpleasant few days. Pray that we all get better!

Anyway, that's all the news for now!

No comments: